FamilyMeans Caregiving & Aging September Newsletter
Sep 19, 2023
Are you an Overachieving Caregiver?
Answer the following questions to find out a little more about yourself!
1. Do you feel that no one else can look after your care receiver as well as you?
2. Do you go for weeks without taking even an hour off?
3. Would your feel you had abandoned them if you took them to a day respite program or had respite come into the home?
4. Do you feel that only you can understand them and that letting others provide care would hurt, frighten or be damaging somehow?
5. Do you feel anxious, exhausted or irritable most of the time?
6. Do you secretly feel angry with your care receiver, and then ashamed of your feelings and then guilty for feeling that way?
7. Have you dropped your previous hobbies, friends and interests?
8. Would you rather die than let them go into full time professional care?
9. Do you avoid going to support groups because you could never share your feelings with strangers?
10.Do you keep all your fears, needs, and feelings to yourself because you are not that kind of person who shares things with others?
If you answered “yes” to more than two questions, you qualify for the overachieving caregiv-er club!
You may be surprised in a support group how many people have these same feelings. Sup-port groups help you to hear from others how they are coping to better help you find your own path. FamilyMeans Caregiving & Aging does want you to be a balanced and supported caregiver. Ask us about support groups and other ways for you to balance your caregiving for your benefit and for the benefit of your care receiver.